Mac Pro - Built for creativity on an epic scale. Computing - The new power structure.
• Engineered around workstation graphics with dual GPUs, PCIe-based flash storage, high-performance Thunderbolt 2, new-generation Xeon processors, ultra-fast memory and support for 4K video, the new Mac Pro delivers state-of-the-art performance across the board. Processor.
• The new Mac Pro is muscle through and through, starting with the new-generation Intel Xeon E5, available with 4, 6, 8 or 12 cores of processing power on a single die. And with up to 30MB of L3 cache, 40GB/s of PCI Express gen 3 bandwidth and 256-bit-wide floating-point instructions, you’ll never be at a loss for speed. Memory.
• Every component in the new Mac Pro is optimised for performance. That includes a four-channel DDR3 memory controller running at 1866MHz. It supports up to 64GB of memory and delivers up to 60GB/s of memory bandwidth, which means you can fly through even the most computer-intensive tasks in no time. And since it’s ECC memory, your render job, video export or simulation won’t be stopped by transient memory errors. Graphics.
• Traditionally, pro computers have relied primarily on the CPU for their computing power. But as GPU performance has dramatically increased, software developers have begun to leverage that power in their apps. With the new Mac Pro, we looked ahead and engineered an even more powerful GPU architecture. Not only does it feature a state-of-the-art AMD FirePro workstation-class GPU — it features two of them. And each is available with 2GB, 3GB or 6GB of dedicated VRAM and up to 2,048 stream processors. With all that power, you’ll be able to do things like seamlessly edit full-resolution 4K video while simultaneously rendering effects in the background — and still have enough power to connect up to three high-resolution 4K displays. Storage.
• There’s flash storage, and then there’s next-generation PCIe-based flash storage. We’re talking storage that’s up to 2.4 times faster than the fastest SATA-based solid-state drive and up to 10 times faster than a 7200-rpm SATA hard drive. Most flash storage systems connect via SATA buses designed for slower-spinning hard drives. But we designed the new Mac Pro around new PCIe-based flash controller technology to deliver the fastest solid-state drives available as standard in a desktop computer. So you’ll have up to 1TB of storage that will let you boot up, launch apps and even open massive files in, well, a flash. Thermal Core - A uniﬁed thermal core.
• The new Mac Pro packs an unprecedented amount of power in an unthinkable amount of space. A big reason we were able to do that is the ingenious unified thermal core. Rather than using multiple heat sinks and fans to cool the processor and graphics cards, we built everything around a single piece of extruded aluminium designed to maximise airflow as well as thermal capacity. It works by conducting heat away from the CPU and GPUs, and distributing that heat uniformly across the core. That way, if one processor isn’t working as hard as the others, the extra thermal capacity can be shared efficiently between them. No computer has been built this way before. And yet it makes so much sense, it’s now hard to imagine building one any other way.