One of the best Android smartphones out there, the Samsung Galaxy S7 is now finally getting an update to Android 7.0 Nougat after closing the Nougat beta program just before the new year.
Samsung Galaxy S7 models can expect to see an Android 7.0 Nougat update delivered to their smartphones OTA (over-the-air) sometime in January 2017. Official user manuals released by Samsung details the various changes that will be brought about by the Android 7.0 Nougat update:
- Updated Samsung TouchWiz user interface: It will bear a blue and white colour theme. The icons also follow a flat design inspired by the stock Android icons, and the new TouchWiz also utilizes the stock Android notification pull-down shade instead of its own.
- A new camera app: The new app will be simpler in design with easy-access icons. It also gains new features such as being able to lock focus on one point of an image while adjusting focus in another.
- New lock screen: The update also brings a new lock screen that is similar to the unfortunate Note 7’s. The lock screen features access to certain apps without having to unlock the smartphone for quick actions.
- New battery modes: Samsung gives more control to the users with a new Performance Mode that allows users to choose the phone’s performance from four different modes: Normal, Game, Entertainment, and High Performance.
- Blue Light Filter: The Nougat update will also bring a blue-light filter that can lessen the strain on our eyes when looking at the phone – especially in darker lighting environments.
- Multi-Window Mode: Samsung and stock Android’s very own multi-window mode will come together to extend support to more apps than Samsung’s own pre-installed ones.
The Samsung Galaxy S7 is one of the best smartphones out there that consumers can buy thus far. The S7 packs a powerful Exynos 8890 quad-core processor that delivers consistent performance at no expense. It also has one of the best cameras ever made in a smartphone.